i just hurried through my breakfast of edemame, tea, and a cupcake to bring you this post! here’s taking what VCTOtW has taught me thus far, and making it a little crazy. i really wanted to try the cookies n cream cupcakes, but fear for increasing my thigh circumference has been stopping me. especially if i keep making eating the full fat versions. my disclaimer: the cupcake recipe below is a lower fat version; the frosting, however, is not.
items you will need:
2 big bowls
cupcake pan liners ( i ran out & had to make 3 out of tinfoil, as you can tell in some of the pix!)
*if you have one, great. i use either the other rack from my oven (if i remember to take it out before i pre-heat.) or the one from my toaster oven works really well for 12 cupcakes.
lower-fat, hint o’ coffee cookies ‘n’ cream cupcakes
1/2 c. vanilla soy yogurt
2/3 c. non-dairy milk
1/4 c. applesauce
3 tbsp. oil
3/4 c. sugar
2 tbsp. instant coffee
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 c. whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 c. unbleached flour
1/4 c. cocoa powder
2 tbsp. cornstarch
3/4 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1 c. chopped cream filled chocolate cookies (ps- you need more finely chopped cookies for the frosting too, about 16 altogether. throw them in the food processor to make fast work of it!)
1. make sure that your oven rack is in the center position. (*take out the other one if you need a cooling rack!) heat oven to 350* and place liners to ready the cupcake pan.
2. mix yogurt, soymilk, applesauce, oil, sugar, coffee and vanilla in a large bowl. sift flours, cocoa, cornstarch, baking powder and soda, and salt in another bowl. slowly incorporate dry ingredients into wet. once well combined, mix in chopped cookies.
3. fill liners 3/4 full, and bake for 22 minutes, or until toothpick pierced into middle comes out clean. (go clean up & make your frosting while they bake!)
4. remove cupcakes from pan & let cool on cooling rack*.
5. frost with recipe below when cooled.
1/4 c. vegetable shortening, room temp
1/4 c. vegan butter , room temp
1 3/4 c. powdered sugar, sifted
1 tsp. vanilla extract
3-4 tbsp. cooled strong coffee
1/2 c. finely chopped cookies
6 cookies, halved, for topping cupcakes, optional
cream shortening and butter together. mix in vanilla extract. add the powdered sugar in 3 additions. use 3-4 tbsp. of coffee until desired consistency is achieved. fold in finely chopped cookies. frost cooled cupcakes and put a half cookie on top for decoration if you’d like.
the coffee taste is definitely there, but it’s subtle in comparison to all the cookies ‘n’ creaminess. you cannot even tell that i made the cupcake itself lower fat. it’s got a really great light & spongy texture, but it’s not too delicate either, it can totally take that frosting. i’m going to keep using half whole wheat pastry flour in my future recipes; i really like the result, and the added nutrients.