Here’s another variation of things I find easy and comforting to cook… bread & lentils! This is an even easier version of this recipe. The only knife you’ll need is for slicing the bread into chunks to serve with the stew.
Curried Lentil & Quinoa Stew
3 c. lentils, picked through & rinsed (I used half and half french green lentils and regular lentils)
12 c. of filtered water
2 – 3″ pieces of kombu (seaweed)
1 veggie bouillon cube
1 bag of frozen, mixed vegetables
3 tbsp. good curry powder
2.5 tsp. sea salt, plus more to taste
fresh ground pepper
cinnamon, ginger, & cayenne, optional
1 1/4 c. quinoa, rinsed (or not, I didn’t here)
~1 c. frozen, chopped spinach
1. In a large pot, bring 12 c. of water, seaweed, bouillon cube, and lentils up to a boil over high heat. Cover, and lower heat to simmer for 1 hour.
2. With 20 minutes left of the simmer, add frozen vegetable mix, quinoa, and spices.
3. Remove from heat. Stir in frozen spinach until heated through and serve.
Mixed Flour Beer Batter Bread
3 c. flour (1 cup each of unbleached all-purpose, white whole wheat, and whole wheat pastry flour)
2 tbsp. of vital wheat gluten
2 tbsp. brown sugar
1 tbsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 bottle of beer at room temperature (leave it out, or pour it into a cup & microwave!)
olive oil for misting top
Preheat oven to 375*F and grease a loaf pan.
1. In a large mixing bowl combine flours, wheat gluten, brown sugar, baking powder and salt well. Pour beer into dry mix, and stir until combined. The batter will look lumpy.
2. Turn dough into prepared loaf pan and spray lightly with olive oil. Bake for 40 minutes, or until cake tester inserted into center comes out clean.
3. Let it rest in the pan for about 5 minutes, and then place on cooling rack. Eat it as soon as it’s cool enough to handle : )