i’ve been promising my work partner that i’d make some vegan oatmeal raisin cookies for us to snack on for some time now. patients generally bring in non-vegan junk, and a LOT of [non-vegan] chocolate. but we both prefer oatmeal raisins to chocolate chips anyway. this recipe is my adaptation from quick and easy vegan comfort food’s.
Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
1/2 c. non-hydrogenated vegetable shortening
1/4 c. vegan butter
1/2 c. sugar
3/4 c. brown sugar
1/4 c. unsweetened applesauce
1/4 c. non-dairy milk, i used almond
1 tsp. vanilla extract, omitted b/c my almond milk was vanilla’d already : )
1 1/2 c. quick oats
1 c. unbleached all-purpose flour
1/2 c. whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. sea salt
1/2 c. raisins
1/4 c. raw pumpkin seeds
1. Pre-heat the oven to 350*F and prepare baking sheets.
2. Cream together shortening, butter, sugars and applesauce with mixer. Add milk and vanilla, and then oats, stir until well combined.
3. In a separate bowl combine flours, baking powder and soda, and salt. Add to wet mixture in 3 or 4 additions. Fold in raisins and pumpkin seeds.
4. Using a 1.5″ cookie scoop or forming into balls, place about 2″ apart on prepared cookie sheets.
5. Bake 12-13 minutes, and let cool on cooling racks. When they come out of the oven they will be puffed up, but once they hit the cooler air they will flatten out. Enjoy!
This made 32 yummy cookies.