i decided to veganize a dish i used to make a lot a few years ago. the best thing about these was always the smoky tomatoes and the delicious shallots anyway, so i figured it was worth a shot.
Ty’s smoky tomato & chicken seitan tacos
* 4-6 ripe plum tomatoes, cored
* 1/4 c. canola or extra-virgin olive oil, divided
* 1 lb seitan, chicken flavor, cut into thin strips or bite sized pieces
* 4-6 shallots, thinly sliced
* 2 jalapeño peppers, very finely chopped, seeded if you don’t like heat
* 3 cloves cloves garlic, very finely chopped
* 2 tbsp. lime juice
* 2 tbsp. chopped fresh, or 2 tsp. dried cilantro
* salt & pepper to taste
* corn tortillas, warmed or crunchy taco shells
* vegan sour cream, optional
* vegan cheddar, optional
1. Pre-heat the broiler. Place tomatoes on a baking sheet or pan, and place under broiler for 10 to 15 minutes, turning occasionally with tongs to char all sides. Transfer to a plate to cool. Do not remove the skins! Squeeze out the seeds and chop. Set aside.
2. In a large skillet, heat 2 tbsp oil to med-high. Add seitan to pan and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
3. Reduce the heat to medium and add the remaining 2 tbsp oil. Add shallots and jalapeño, cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, stirring, about one minute more. Add lime juice, reserved seitan and tomatoes. Bring to a simmer and stir in cilantro. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
4. Spoon filling into warm tortillas, garnish with sour cream and cheddar if desired, enjoy!
i love this recipe. i was out of limes & lime juice, so i subbed a few teaspoons of lemon juice instead. the lime juice is amazing in this dish though, try to use lime; i missed it. i used sprouted grain tortillas to make it even more nutritious. the seitan was better in this dish too b/c i cut it up into small pieces and browned it, so it was less chewy. very satisfying & yum. great with the daiya cheddar too. it’s definitely the best vegan cheese i’ve tried! too bad there were no leftovers, this post is making me hungry : )